Balance your soil organically to grow healthy and nutrient dense food.
Grow offers soil testing and soil recommendations based on a test. For the test, we use Logan Labs, a leading provider of analytical and consulting services. We use them because the top agronomists in the country use them. For the recommendations, we use algorithms from William Albrecht, Michael Astera, Neal Kinsey, William McKibben, Gary Zimmer, Spectrum Analytics, Steve Solomon and Erica Reinheimer.
Cost: $45 includes test, shipping and recommendations
Standard Soil Test includes:
- Total Exchange Capacity (M.E.)
- Organic Matter percentage
* more extensive tests are also available for an extra charge. Call for details.
Instructions for collecting samples
- Scrape away surface litter and dig down 6” to collect the sample. You can borrow our Soil Corer to do this or use an auger, a soil sampling tube, or a spade. Just make sure whatever tool you use that you clean it before you take the sample.
- Take samples from different locations of your garden area. Because of soil variations, it is necessary that each sample consist of small portions of soil obtained from approximately 10-15 locations in your gardening area. Samples can be mixed together.
- Place 2 cups of sample into a ziplock bag. Put your name on the bag with permanent marker. If submitting more than one sample, put a sample ID on each bag. (ie, upper garden area, pasture, herb bed, etc)
- Bring in the sample(s) to us at 2035 12th Street, Hood River, OR 97031
Please note: Soils that differ in soil type, appearance, crop growth, or past treatment should be sampled separately, provided the area can be treated separately. Avoid areas or conditions that are different, such as areas where fertilizer or liming materials have been spilled, gate areas where livestock have congregated, poorly drained areas, dead furrows, tillage or fertilizer corners, or fertilizer band areas of last year’s crop. It is also advisable to stay at least 50 feet from barns, roads, lanes or fence rows.
Reports will be e-mailed to you upon completion. Test will typically take 2-3 weeks to complete.